The European School in Mombasa, Kenya, originally started in 1935. Records show that in 1937 there were 12 children at the school, which consisted of just 2 bandas with makuti roofs.
The site that the school occupied is the same site that the school is on today
In 1957 the school had grown substantially and included 3 classroom blocks, boys and girls separate toilet blocks, a big playing field, a large assembly hall and teacher’s common room, head teacher’s office and a secretary’s office. There was also a large car park at the front of the school. The attendance of children had grown to 411.
MEPS was a day school. There were no boarders. The school is situated on Mombasa Island at the end of Cliffe Avenue, now Kisingo Road.
Throughout its life as the European Primary School, from 1935 to the end of 1962, it has had a number of permanent Head Teachers, Captain White, Mrs Grossert, Mrs Hand, Miss Foat, Mrs Patrick and Mr Metcalfe. C J (Kit) Metcalfe was the longest serving Head, from 1954 until 1970. Kit Metcalfe oversaw the integration of other ethnic groups into the school- this began in 1962-1963.
During the late Colonial era Mombasa European Primary School (MEPS) was considered one of the top schools in the Kenya Colony with a very high rate of entrances into the Colony’s Secondary Schools “up country”.
Getting a domain name for the Mombasa European Primary School has been somewhat challenging. We eventually were able to get mepsoldboys.weebly.com registered (after trying a huge number of different combinations). Our sincere apologies to the MEPS ladies. Thanks for your understanding.